Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's Never Too Late...

"It's never too late to become what we might have been." - George Eliot


This time, I'm doing it.

Finishing something.

Putting that final period on that final sentence, then typing "The End".

Since I was 6 years old, I've known that I wanted to write stories for a living. When I was in high school, all I could see myself doing was becoming a book editor in New York, then a best-selling novelist. Between book tours and days at the typewriter (computers weren't super-popular just then, you see), my life would unfold in fabulous places amid fascinating people.

Champagne on the Riviera? Mais Oui!

Tropical drinks poolside as I did 'research' for my next book? Why not?

Touring with rock bands for the sole purpose of chronicling their experiences? Never a doubt in my mind it wouldn't happen.

But somehow, amid the daydreams and wishful thinking, I forgot to pursue that very dream. I took other jobs just "to pay the bills," then time slipped away. If only I had made as many excuses to do what I really wanted as I made NOT to, I would have been as prolific as Nora Roberts or James Patterson by now!

Thus, I have begun a new adventure: NaNoWriMo.

The National Novel Writing Month (aka November) has kicked off in style, and I'm determined to do that one thing that has eluded me all these years—finish that novel.

It's well past time. These characters have been stuck in limbo for going on 20 years now. Lately, they've grown quite antsy, popping up during the day to whisper in my ear, "Hey, what about me? Did you forget about me?"

So I have begun again. I've taken the concept, the characters and my new appreciation for editing and I'm bringing their story to life. In a mere 28 days, Robin, Alex, Jackie, Dianne and my favorite, Ronnie, will have find their story at a satisfying end.

And mine will once again be beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment